top of page

LaFountain Immigration Law, LLC

Where You’ll Feel the Difference

Professional Experience. Exceptional Results.

Speaking with the Judge

This firm was started because of Attorney LaFountain’s work on her first asylum case in law school and her passion for helping those who have left their home countries out of fear and relocated to the United States with very little to start their new lives.

Home: About

Our Practices

How We Can Help You

Family-Based Immigration

Many individuals can qualify for permanent residence (a green card) based on their marriage to a U.S. citizen or to a lawful permanent resident. Depending on the facts of the case, the paperwork may be processed in the U.S. (“adjustment of status”) or overseas (“consular processing”). This firm handles both types of cases. We can also handle the removal of the conditions on your residence, which applies if your received your green card while still in the first two years of your marriage.

Signing a Contract

Asylum Cases and Other Victim Services

Asylum is for individuals who have fled persecution in their home country. These individuals must prove that their persecution (or their well-founded fear of persecution) is based on their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. They must file within one year of arriving in the United States or otherwise explain the changed conditions or extraordinary circumstances for not doing so. Alternatives to asylum are withholding of removal or relief under the Convention Against Torture (“CAT”). These cases require a considerable amount of preparation. We understand the severity of your case and will do all that we can to present a strong claim on your behalf.

Smiling Handshake

Removal/Deportation Defense

Even lawful permanent residents (people who have green cards) can be removed from the United States. One of the most common ways for a lawful permanent resident to lose his or her green card is criminal activity. We can help criminal defendants and their attorneys evaluate plea deals and possible sentences to determine whether the conviction and/or the sentence will be harmful to the defendant’s immigration status in the United States and his or her ability to stay in the country.

Mothers and their Baby
Home: Practice Areas

Additional Practice Areas

Expertise. Intuition. Ingenuity.

Home: Services

Naturalization and Citizenship

Getting your green card puts you on a pathway to becoming a citizen of the United States. After maintaining lawful permanent resident (“green card”) status for the required number of years, you can apply for naturalization, which is the process followed to become a citizen of the United States. You must complete the application, attend the interview with immigration and complete an English and civics exam. If you are interested in applying for naturalization, we will make sure that you qualify (before applying) and help prepare you for the interview and exam. We can also assist you if you need any special accommodations for the interview or exam.
Some people become a U.S. citizen automatically, such as people born in the United States. People born outside the United States can derive (or acquire) citizenship if they satisfy a number of requirements, but not everyone is aware of this. Sadly, this can lead to the wrongful deportation of many U.S. citizens. If you are in removal (“deportation”) proceedings or have been deported, but believe you are a U.S. citizen, it is important to make a clear argument to the government as to why you are a U.S. citizen. We can help you with this, whether you are in the United States or back in your home country after being deported. If you are a U.S. citizen, you should be allowed to return to the United States. If you were wrongfully deported, you may even be able to make a claim against the government (such as a Bivens action or Federal Tort Claims Act, “FTCA,” claim) for wrongful deportation.

Team Meeting

International Adoptions

We represent prospective adoptive parents in Connecticut and around the United States in their quests to bring children home from around the world. Whether you are just starting your adoption or you are having difficulties bringing your child home, this firm can help you. U.S. immigration law recognizes three types of adoptions: orphan adoptions, Hague adoptions and I-130 adoptions. Which one applies in your particular case depends on the country where your child lives (or previously lived) and your current relationship with the child. In all cases, you need the approval of the U.S. government.
We also handle domestic adoptions, which are processed by the probate courts in Connecticut. There does not need to be an immigration component to the adoption.

Business Meeting

Other Immigration Matters

If you have an immigration concern that is not included in the topics discussed elsewhere on our website, we may still be able to help you. Examples of these include, but are not limited to, green card renewals, extensions of status and changes of status, student visas, J waivers, unlawful presence issues and other waivers, such as I-601 waivers, I-601A waivers and I-212 waivers.

Making Notes

"An awesome Attorney. Every good thing been said about her is true. She is really a blessing to humanity. I enjoyed the services she rendered to me based on my immigration matter. I highly recommend her. Conclusively, Meghann has a heart of gold."

Home: Testimonial

Get in Touch

100 Riverview Center, Suite 280, Middletown, CT 06457



  • facebook

Thanks for submitting!

Home: Contact
bottom of page